Monday, July 25, 2011

What is a waste of time?

In Calistoga last weekend, Tracy and I met a man and an impressive bike (curses for not taking a picture).  The bike was decked out with flags, wind chimes, colorful banners, and even a carriage for his dog. The man, John, said this project has taken him years to create, and he is trying to share his happiness. John's bike was his platform for celebrating life. His display attracted conversation and stares from people passing through.

While I was entertained by the extravagance of the bike, the pragmatist in me could not help but think of the alternative uses of that time.  Surely, he could have been volunteering or working towards some endeavor of human progress (e.g., teaching, cleaning the environment, or building something usable).

But as I reflected, I thought of the countless hours I have spend on the bike (or the more countable hours, I have spent blogging).  Do these seemingly selfish acts have the same opportunity costs?  The more I thought and discussed this with Tracy, the more I realized the need for a new paradigm for productivity. Perhaps, John brought more happiness than he could by making something for consumption. Perhaps, he was able to use objects that might have been disregarded.  And as for me, perhaps there is something redeemable about cycling and blogging. Cycling is eco-friendly, healthy, and can raise awareness for the sport and cycling safety.  In a different way, blogging can be healthy, stimulating for others, and start an important discourse.

In sum, the activities that we might stereotypically label as selfish or self-serving might have a larger social value to them.  In other words, there are likely many positive externalities of our individual endeavors.  And maybe we could benefit from rethinking and relabeling productivity.

No comments: